The University Library is responsible for securing the library’s scholarly resources and safeguarding its collections and equipment against theft and abuse. The Library also aims to maintain an atmosphere conducive to study and research. Library users are expected to show consideration of the rights of others, and should behave in a manner which does not inconvenience or offend others in matters of study space, noise, littering, or general conduct. Soliciting is not permitted within library spaces.
The Library has established the following Code of Conduct which addresses the use and protection of the collections, the building, equipment and the library environment. The following regulations apply in all Lakehead University Libraries including The Chancellor Paterson Library, Education Library and Orillia Campus Library.
Other relevant University policies include:
- Code of Student Behaviour and Disciplinary Procedures
- Accomodations for Students with Disabilities
- Code of Computing Practice
- Emergency Procedures
Use of Library Materials
Library materials may be removed from the Library only when they have been checked out at the Access Services Desk or when authorization has been obtained. Library resources, equipment and furniture should be treated with care and should not be mutilated, defaced or otherwise damaged.
The concealing or reserving without library authorization, of material in the Library for the exclusive use of an individual or group is not permitted.
When the Library security alarm at the Access Services Desk has been activated, the user is required upon request to submit backpacks, bags, etc. for inspection.
Food and Drink Policy
- Cold, snack food is permitted in Lakehead University Library spaces. Users are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. The consumption of food should not interfere with noise expectations of quiet study zones.
- Hot food and restaurant food delivery are not permitted in Lakehead University Library spaces. Users with hot food or delivery will be asked to put away their food until they leave the library, discard their food, or leave the library space with their food.
- Beverages are allowed in containers with a lid. Please report any spills to a library staff member.
- No food or drinks are permitted in the Archives, Makerspace or computer labs
- Please be considerate of scent sensitivities and allergies when bringing food into the library.
All Library users are entitled to a respectful environment in which to work. Loud conversation or other disturbing noise is an inconvenience to others. In consideration of other library users, please respect quiet library study area designations and noise level expectations, and modify levels of conversation and activity accordingly.
Personal items should not be left in the Library unattended. The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen personal property. The Library asks that you refrain from the informal reservation of space by depositing personal effects for prolonged periods.
Students are requested not to rearrange Library furniture beyond normal use. Furniture must not block aisles, exits and doorways, interfere with the flow of traffic, or endanger the health and safety of users.
Photographing, filming or video/audio recording is prohibited without express prior permission. Please contact Media Relations, 807-343-8177, email@example.com.
Children must be accompanied by an adult who is responsible for their safety and supervision.
Regulations apply to all Library users, including external borrowers and casual visitors. Students who disregard these regulations may be subject to University discipline as set down in the Lakehead University Code of Student Behaviour and Disciplinary Procedures. Other library users may have their borrowing privileges revoked, may be asked to leave the building or may be banned from the Library.