Library Services and Policies: Winter 2022
[Updated: January 21, 2022]
- Health and Safety Measures
- Access to Lakehead University Libraries is currently restricted to registered students, faculty, and staff.
- All library users will be asked to present their daily COVID-19 screening and mandatory vaccine passport upon entrance to the library.
- Masks are required at all times when in the library, including when you are seated at a study space.
- No food or eating is allowed in the library. Beverages with a lid are permitted.
- The library will only be accepting debit and credit payments, cash will not be accepted. You are encouraged to load your printing credits online through your PaperCut account.
- High touch services and areas will be cleaned regularly, in coordination with Physical Plant.
- Access to Physical Library Collections
- Access to the physical collection in book stacks are currently restricted. If you would like to borrow an item from our physical collection please place a request through Omni.
- Requests for physical items can be requested through Omni for items in our circulating collections. When you request an item, library staff will retrieve it for you and place it on our holds shelf. You will receive an email when your item is available for pickup at the access services desk.
- Lakehead University is an Omni library, meaning that LU staff, students and faculty can directly request physical items located at 15 other Ontario University Libraries. To search items from other Libraries, please select “Lakehead Library + Omni Libraries” for your search.
- Under fair dealing guidelines, the library can scan up to one chapter of a physical item for you. This is called a digitization request. More information on how to place a digitization request can be found on our Library Guide.
- You can request articles and chapters not available at Lakehead Library through our RACER Interlibrary Loan service.
- Please note that the law library is restricted to current staff/students/faculty.
- Returning Library Items
- Returns can be made at Lakehead Library locations during their hours of operation or during contactless pickup hours.
- Study Spaces
- Chancellor Paterson Library will be providing single seat study spaces beginning on January 24th, 2022.
- Study spaces can be booked in advance. More information can be found here.
- Please respect physical distancing by not moving furniture.
- Computers and Printing
- Limited computer spaces are available for students, staff, and faculty at Chancellor Paterson Library.
- Slots can be booked to use a printer. Each printer is equipped with a computer to allow you to send print jobs.
- Login to your Papercut account to add funds to your account. Payment by debit or credit can also be accepted at the Library Access Services Desks.
- Course Reserves
- The library’s course reserve service aims to foster student learning by removing financial barriers to course readings.
- Faculty and instructors are encouraged to connect with their liaison librarian about developing a course reading list that can be made available through the library’s collection or openly licensed alternatives, such as Open Educational Resources
- In Fall 2021, the library launched a new reading list tool called myReadings. myReadings integrates with the D2L learning management system and the library collection, streamlining the process for creating interactive and up-to-date reading lists. Learn more about myReadings by visiting our Guide.
- To request assistance setting up myReadings, please submit your reading list to the library using our course reserve request form.
- To encourage equitable access to course readings, the library will only be supporting electronic reading lists.
- Library and Research Help
Contactless Pickup Hours
These hours in effect from January 24th through January 31st, 2022
Chancellor paterson library
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Orillia harvie legacy library & Education library Thunder bay
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday: Closed
After placing a request please wait for an email to schedule pickup time.
Orillia Education Library
Closed - all requests for Orillia Education materials can be picked up at the Orillia Harvie Legacy Library on University Avenue.