The Archives keeps original records relating to Lakehead University and its faculty, staff, and affiliated organizations. The Archives also keeps records documenting the history of Thunder Bay and Northwestern Ontario, several original manuscript collections, and other historical records.

The Archives is located on the fifth floor of the Chancellor Paterson Library Building. It is open by appointment, and with some regular open hours during the academic year.

For more information, and for access to archival collections please visit the Archives website

The Archives policies may also be of interest.

archives in boxes

Chancellor Paterson Library

The Entrance of Paterson Library

Main Entrance of the Library

The Chancellor Paterson Library is the main library on the Thunder Bay Campus and occupies a separate building in the centre of campus. Three stories of this building were completed early in 1966, and came into full use for the new session beginning September, 1966. An official opening ceremony was performed by the Chancellor, Senator N.M. Paterson, on October 27, 1966. Early in 1967, it was decided to add three more stories to the existing structure, and work was completed in September.

On May 31st, 1980 the Library was named The Chancellor Norman M. Paterson Library immediately following afternoon convocation ceremonies.

A Portrait of Chancellor Paterson

Portrait of Chancellor Paterson hangs at the entrance of the Library

Born in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Norman McLeod Paterson established his own grain business in 1908 which later grew into the firm of N.M. Paterson and Sons Ltd. The firm operated a four-million bushel terminal elevator in Fort William along with many other grain elevators and lake freighters. Paterson was called to the Senate in 1940 and was appointed Knight of the Order of St. John in November 1945. Senator Paterson’s contributions to both Thunder Bay and Lakehead University are considerable: the donation of his home to McKellar Hospital, a park to the City of Fort William, and one of the first Cobalt Bomb Installations in Canada to the Port Arthur General Hospital. Over the years, through The Paterson Foundation, the family has contributed generously to numerous scholarships, bursaries, and funded major capital projects at Lakehead University. The Chancellor Norman M. Paterson Library is proud to carry his name!

In 2010 a renovation of the main floor resulted in the Library Learning Commons.

Today the Chancellor Paterson Library is a hub of student activity, with quiet and group work areas, library services, the Writing Centre, access to computers, the print collection, and a cafe. Chancellor Paterson Library is also home to the Northern Studies Resource Centre and the Archives and Special Collections.


Libraries and Collections

The University Library includes The Chancellor Paterson Library, which is the main library for the University, the Education Library, which primarily serves the Faculty of Education, and the Orillia Campus Library. Find out more about our services and collections in the Library Annual Report.

The materials and resources within these libraries represent the largest research collection in Northwestern Ontario.

Northern Studies Resource Centre (NSRC)

The Northern Studies Resource Centre was established in 1988 in conjunction with Lakehead University’s Lakehead Centre for Northern Studies. Originally created to encourage interest in northern and regional research, it has continued to expand its collection to become a significant depository of materials which focus on northern issues. The collection is multifaceted and contains print materials, electronic databases, microfilm/microfiche, maps, and more. The resource centre has become an important component of the research conducted by students and faculty of Lakehead University.

For information regarding the Northern Studies Resource Centre, please call (807) 343-8728.

The Centre houses several special collections: Regional, North, and University. Each collection focuses on a separate geographic area or mandate.

The Centre is open to all Lakehead University students, staff, faculty, and interested members of the community.