Borrowing at Other University Libraries

Canadian university libraries have agreed to extend in-person borrowing privileges to students, faculty and staff from across the country. All that is required for borrowing is a valid university identification card or a valid participating regional consortia card (with the exception of the University of Toronto).

Reciprocal borrowing privileges are determined by each lending (host) library and usually provide shorter loan periods than those available at the individual's home library. Some library materials such as periodicals, videos, and books on course reserve may not be available for loan.

Other library services may be available in addition to borrowing privileges and some fees may apply. Students, faculty and staff should inquire at each host library regarding services available to visiting library users.

The lending library's regulations related to loan periods, renewal and recall procedures, and fines will apply to all loans. Lost or damaged materials should be reported to the library from which the item was borrowed. Students, faculty and staff are responsible for paying any fines, lost book charges or processing charges incurred.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students may borrow books in-person from other Ontario university libraries (Direct Borrowing), with the exception of the University of Toronto. A valid Lakehead University Identification Card is required, and users may be required to show additional picture identification. Books may be returned to the lending library or to the Circulation Desk at one of the Lakehead University Libraries.

Graduate Students, Faculty and Staff

Graduate students, faculty and staff may borrow books directly from all Ontario university libraries. Arrangements also exist for borrowing from out-of-province universities (Atlantic, Quebec, Prairie and Pacific).

Identification Required for Reciprocal Borrowing

The type of library identification required for reciprocal borrowing is determined by each participating consortium. Students, faculty and staff should check with the library of their home institution to ensure they have the appropriate identification before visiting another Canadian university library.

For details on out-of-province borrowing agreements and the identification required, see Canadian Universities Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement.